Wednesday, July 20, 2011

An unexpected jewel...

Sorry it has been so long since I last posted.  Things have been a bit hectic, so this post is a little late in getting out there. 
I have to say I was surprised how much I enjoyed Charles Martin’s When Crickets Cry.  In all honesty, this was not a book I would have picked up if not for the fact that it was the assigned reading for my neighborhood book club, but once I got into the book, I had trouble putting it down…like I wanted to tell my kids to go play far, far away so I could read without any disruptions
I am going to keep the post for this book extremely short and simple, because no description of this book will truly do it justice.  A young girl in need of a new heart and a man with a secret make an unlikely pairing, but a series of events brings them together when they need each other most.  While their friendship blossoms, Martin introduces a wonderful cast of supporting characters that add additional depth to the storyline.  One of these supporting characters is actually the setting.  As I read, I found myself wanting to go visit Lake Burton, Georgia so I could behold the gorgeous setting with my own eyes.  My only complaint is that I was so drawn into the story and the lives of the characters that I was left wanting to know more.  Yes, Martin does a nice job tying up all the loose ends, but I want to know what happens to these peoples’ lives beyond that.  And yes, I checked, there is no sequel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment